Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patty's Day

Top of the mornin' to ya.

"May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks.
May your heart be as light as a song.
May each day bring you bright, happy hours.
That stay with you all the year long."

Now I'm not one of those who believes in leprechauns and
pots of gold at the end of the rainbow.
However, if I remember, I try to wear something green...that is if I have something.
Remember the days when you were in school, I know it's a long time ago for some of us.
Anyways, if you went to school without some green on you were sure to be pinched!

Whether you have some Irish blood in you or not, this is a holiday that is recognized by many.  I believe there might be a smidgen in my family from my maternal Granddad's side of the family.
 
One way I can remember this day is that it is also my niece's birthday.
"Happy Birthday Katie!  We love you!"

The menu...
In the past, I have made the traditional corn beef brisket with potatoes and cabbage.  Well, I left out the cabbage for my husband's sake.  However, this year I decided to go a more simple route. 

The Reuben Sandwich.

I haven't made them in a long time but we love them.  They are simple but yummy.
Slices of rye bread, corn beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing.
Assemble and put in a skillet like you would a grilled cheese.
What do you eat on St. Patty's day?

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind always be at your back
May the sun shine warm on your face
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I really want a Reuben now, a real one! And hubby doesn't like them. :(

    ReplyDelete