Friday, March 8, 2013

Do You Have An Accent?

There are many different accents through out the country and the world.  You can normally tell where a person is from by the way they speak.   There's deep southern, southern, northern, western, and Jersey...just to name a few.

My husband had only been home for a few short moments yesterday when he asked...
"Have you talked to your sisters lately?"
 
Now, I should have picked up on the meaning of his question right away but I didn't.  So I proceeded to tell him when I had spoken to them and how they were doing. 
 
Mid way through my speech he says...
 
"I could tell."
 
Then I knew what he had been meaning.

(I had talked to one sister earlier that day)
 
I have never had a strong southern accent, even when I lived in the south. 
However, I did have a slight accent that those who were not from the south could hear. 
 
Living in the north, I have lost the little bit that I had. 
However, according to my husband who has very sharp hearing...
Whenever I'm talking or visiting with my family, I acquire a southern accent.
Just a simple telephone conversation does the trick and I'm completely unaware of it... until he says something.  It goes away quickly but it was there. 
He reminds me, I become conscious of it, and
it goes away...until next time.
 
An accent...it tells where you come from.




No comments:

Post a Comment