Thursday, March 21, 2013

Catching Up

Hello!  Sorry for the dry spell. 
I accidentally hit my head over the weekend and
let's just say it caused quite a headache. 
However, I do have a couple tips and recipes to share with you today. 

My Grandfather lived by the motto, "waste not, want not." 
A few years ago, my husband was laid off from his job and
things were really tight to say the least. 
Over and over again, in my head, I could hear my Granddad saying...
waste not, want not. 
Thankfully, my husband has a good job now but I still try to live by that motto. 
So, the other day I still had a good amount of corned beef left over from the yummy Reuben sandwiches that I had made for St. Patty's day. 
Was I going to let it go to go bad and waste it? 
Were we going to eat Reuben sandwiches for several days? 
No to both of those.
So what to do with all of that meat...
I made homemade corned beef hash and served it with eggs,
yes for supper. 
There's nothing wrong with having breakfast for supper every now and then. 
I simply diced up half of a small onion, 2 large potatoes and the corned beef.
Then fried it up in a skillet and topped with eggs.


Now, if you like chocolate covered cherries, then you are going to love this. 
When I was mixing up a vanilla cake the other day, I added some maraschino cherries and dark chocolate chips to the batter before baking it.  Simply drain the cherries (about 1/2 - 1 cup) and cut them in halves.  Add the cherries and chocolate chips (1/2 - 1 cup) to your batter.  Stir them in and then bake cake as you normally would.  Once you have removed the cake from the oven, allow to cool and pour a simple powdered sugar glaze over it. 
 
 
I also made some rice pudding which was also yummy.  I do not have a picture of that but I will share the recipe under the recipe tab.  Next time I make it, I will add more of the "pudding" mixture to it but overall, it was very good.
 
What are some recipes that you have created by using the motto...waste not, want not? 
Feel free to share.


1 comment:

  1. I haven't made them yet, but I have a carrot cake box mix that's been sitting in my cabinent for months. I don't like carrot cake box mix so I don't know why I have it. But I decided to make cake cookies (leave the boxed, dried up carrots and raisins out of it), add some pumpkin pie spice and then put some cream cheese glaze over it. I hope they are good!

    ReplyDelete