Friday, May 31, 2013

Pearls of Wisdom

Today I had to take my vehicle into the shop to have the air conditioning checked.  It has been getting very warm here lately.  I don't know about you but I have to have my A/C. 

Anyways, while I was waiting I browsed through some magazines to help pass the time.  I noticed that the one magazine kept referring to advice that people had received.  They had gone through and asked different ones what was the best advice they had ever received and how it had helped them. 

It held my attention for a while.   Some of the things were ok, but there were some others that were really good.  So I took out a piece of paper and pen and wrote down a few that I will share with you.

*Always leave a margin.  The person explained how she took this advice and applied it to her finances, always leaving a little extra in her checking account; when parking or driving close to another vehicle, leaving enough space to avoid bumping into one another; giving yourself enough time to reach your destination allowing time for delays.

*When faced with confrontation say, "That's interesting." 
This comment causes the other person to stop and think about what they are saying.  Hopefully calming the situation from further debate.

*Less is more.  I think we have all heard this at one time or another and it kind of explains itself. 

*Valuable doesn't mean expensive.  This is a good one especially with the way the economy is right now.  There are many things and people that are valuable to us and we don't have to go out and spend a lot of money to treasure and enjoy them.

*If there isn't a solution, there isn't a problem.  I found this one interesting and the person went on to say how this helped her alleviate some stress...something I think we can all do with a little less.  When you are faced with a circumstance, recognize that no amount of effort on your part could solve the problem.  If a situation is beyond your influence or control, remove it from your concerns.

There were many others, however, these are a few of the ones that caught my attention. 

Then I started thinking of some advice that I had received down through the years.  There are so many things.  I can't even think of all of them at one time. 

*I remember right before Ray and I were getting married, my Mother told me...
Never go to bed upset with each other and always say I love you.  This is so true and I have put this in practice in my marriage from day one.  We are never guaranteed a tomorrow. 

*Waste not, want not.  This was one of my Grandfather's sayings.  He grew up in the depression and knew first hand want it was to have it hard.  Several years ago my husband was laid off from the company that he had been with for ten years.  It was a scary and uncertain time for us, not knowing how we were going to make it or what the future would hold.  His unemployment status lasted for two years off and on.  It was not due to a lack of trying on his part.  During this time, I could hear my Grandfather saying this over and over...waste not, want not.  God provided for us and saw us through that hard time.  Later supplying my husband with a good job.

These are just a couple things and I could go on and on...

Now, though, it is your turn. 
What good advice or pearls of wisdom have you received? 
Feel free to share.

 

1 comment: