Monday, August 26, 2013

Memories and Soup

Every year as summer comes to an end and we head into fall,
 my heart and mind turns towards family and
the wonderful memories I have. 

While I know we have a few more weeks of summer left, I can't help but get sentimental.  I have been getting fall things ready for my booth over at the store and adding touches of fall around the house. 

I personally love fall time.  There's just something about the change of the season, the crisp clean air, the baking, and of course the holidays.  I know, I'm getting ahead of things. 

Over the next few weeks, my plan is to share some of those wonderful memories.  I will be braking it down because if I don't it would turn into a book rather than a blog.

A lot of  people think they have the best family but I have to tell you I have the absolute best there is. 
I don't say that in a biased or bragging way. 
They are/were just good wholesome people.  The type, sad to say, that's getting harder to find in the world we live in today. 
 
My parents were good, God fearing people who stood for what was right and sincerely cared for others. 

They were humble yet dignified. 
Outgoing and friendly yet reserved and poised.
 
My dad never met a stranger.  I remember once when we flew out west for a vacation...he saw someone that he knew and had worked with.  Of course he stopped to talk. 
 
They were the type that would give you the shirt off of their back and expect nothing in return. 
 
No one, family, friend or acquaintance, ever left the house hungry. 

My mom could cook and bake just about anything. 

One of the things that I loved as a kid was potato soup.  She could always turn something simple into something special and this was one of them.  Sometimes she would add cheese and or broccoli.  And yes, I was one kid who liked broccoli. 
I don't have her exact recipe.   She didn't go by too many recipes nor did she write down many of her own. 
She just cooked and everyone would eat it up. 

We had a cast iron wood stove in the family room/sitting area downstairs.  There were many days in the winter when she would put a big pot on that stove.  Cooking anything from soup, beans, or just about anything. 
 
Last week, I was hungry for some potato soup.  While my husband isn't a big fan of it and it is still summer, I decided to make some anyways.  I didn't follow a recipe or write down what I did.  However, I will try to give you the basics and you can adjust to your taste.  Check under recipes.

Join me over the next few weeks as we
take a walk down memory lane. 

 
 
Feel free to share some of your special memories as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment