Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tip of the Day

I actually came across this several months ago but I just didn't share it with anyone.  Please accept my apologies. 

An incident in the kitchen just made me think of it.
So, I decided to share because it really does work.

Ray likes to take celery sticks and ranch dressing in his lunch for a snack. 

I was finding that if you cut it all up as soon as you buy,
part way through the week it gets brown spots. 

If you leave it in the sleeve that it comes in,
it becomes limp and you loose the crispness.

What to do???

So I went online to see if there were any suggestions. 
As with most things there are always ideas and suggestions for just about anything online. 
Some bizarre but some actually work.

This was one that actually worked. 
I have been doing it for several months.

When you buy your celery, take it out of the sleeve.  Cut the bottoms and tops off.  Put the stalks in a large glass with some cold water...just enough to keep it hydrated.  You do not want to completely cover it.  Keep it in the refrigerator and take out individual pieces as you need them.  It will stay crisp for a long time. 


I have found that it also works if you have forgotten and allowed the celery to become limp because you left it in the sleeve. 
Simply follow the steps above and that limp celery will be crisp the next day.

No more wasting celery.  Just be careful not to knock it over and spill water everywhere like I just did.  I have always kept it on a shelf in the refrigerator however after this incident, I put it in the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment