Wednesday, November 27, 2013

This week...

I want to go ahead and say Happy Thanksgiving. 
I trust you have a good one.
 
This week has been very difficult for my family.  My oldest brother-in-law is in ICU and in very critical condition.  Due to my husbands work schedule we will not be able to go be with them until Friday night.  (they live several hours away)  My heart is with them.

In the mean time, I have to prepare for the Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.  Even though we are going through difficult times, there's still plenty to be thankful for.

On another note, here are a couple Thanksgiving things from my childhood...
 
Do any of you recognize this book?
Something runs in my mind that it might have been
from my Granddad, but I'm not sure. 
I came across it the other day.
 
It is about a little girl named Maggie
who lives with her Grandmother.
Her Grandmother has a very special and secret
recipe for Cranberry Bread.
The cranberry bread is famous all over the countryside and
people from all over have tried to get their hands on it. 
The lesson in the story is to not judge people by their appearances,
they just might fool you.
In the end they have a very nice Thanksgiving.
 
Included in the book is the recipe for the famous Cranberry Bread.
I have never made it however if you would like to,
check under recipes.
 
This week marks 26 years since my Granddad past away.
I was young and didn't fully understand what was going on at the time.  My parents went ahead and gave me an early Christmas present.  It was 'Teddy Ruxpin.'
I still have mine in it's box.  I loved that thing.  You would put a tape, that's right I'm telling my age.  It was a cassette tape, went in the tape player in his back and his eyes and mouth moved as he told you stories
 
One tradition we had in our family included a little pumpkin basket that my mom had.
Before the meal, we would put little pieces of paper, with scriptures about being thankful, in it.  Once everyone was seated at the table and before we would eat, we would pass that basket around and everyone would take a piece of paper out.  Then we would go around and each read our scripture and say something that we were thankful for that year.  Then Dad would ask the blessing and we would eat.
 
What traditions or fond memories do you have of past Thanksgivings?
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Connie so sorry to hear about your brother in law.. I'm sure God has his hands on the whole thing. Praying for your family, and make sure you and Ray be careful going down. I'm thankful to have you guys in my life.. Happy Thanksgiving.... I remember Teddy Ruxpin....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that book! I borrowed it from the school library a lot and made the bread a few times! I thought about doing it this year but didnt. Its pretty good!

    ReplyDelete