Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Montana Pasties

Many years ago, as part of a graduation present from my parents, we took a trip out west.  We went to Montana, Wyoming, and up to the Canadian border.  My Aunt and Uncle, and another couple went with us.  We had a wonderful time and saw some absolutely amazing sights.  We visited the beautiful Glacier National Park, Yellowstone Park, and many other sights along the way. 

While we were in Montana, we had one of their specialties....the Pasty.  Pronounced...Passtee.  What is it?  Basically it is a meat pie.  (check under recipes)  It is an English (although some say Irish) recipe that was brought to Butte, Montana and eaten in the copper mines by miners and the residents of Butte.

Served with gravy.  They are very good and very filling. 
The recipe makes 4, so it makes 2 dinners for us.
We had them tonight for dinner and enjoyed them very much!  Plus I have enough left over to serve as another meal later on this week.
 
For a different side, I made Broccoli Slaw. 
I actually made it last night so it also provided for two dinners.
It is coleslaw only made with broccoli instead of cabbage. 
I bought the bag mix on sale for $1 and then just made my regular dressing that I would use for coleslaw.  It was very good and something different.  I would highly recommend you try it,
as I will be making it again.
 
For dessert, I made a pumpkin spice cake.
Now since the whole incident with Ray and chest pains I have been mindful of what we are eating and how I am cooking.  Ray loves his dessert and I know that we will not be living on salads for the rest of our lives.  So basically I have just started tweaking my cooking.
Back to the cake...to make it a little 'healthier' I simply replaced the eggs, butter, and oil with canned pumpkin.  Then made a simple powder sugar glaze. 
 
It is very good and Ray loves it.  The cake is super moist and not one that I could decorate because of that.  However it is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment